The best writers are those with a bit of a child left inside.
~Phil Callaway, Fall Conference 2014
Connect. Learn. Grow.
InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship sponsors and hosts a conference every year on the last weekend in September. Events begin Friday morning and go through until Saturday late afternoon. Fall Conference gives writers an opportunity to come together for inspiration, motivation and to learn more about the craft of writing. Each year InScribe is pleased to feature a seasoned author as the conference Keynote speaker, plus we offer a variety of workshop topics and presenters. It’s a weekend where writers—whether they are seasoned or just beginning—can connect for fellowship, encouragement, and support. In conjunction with the conference each year, InScribe members are called to enter their submissions in our annual Fall Writers’ Contest. (See the Fall Contest tab on the Contests page for full details and an application). A list of this year’s Conference sponsors can be found on our Sponsors page .
If you would like to attend conference, but are struggling financially, apply for a subsidy. Download the Subsidy Information and Application and follow the instructions.
Conference Recordings AVAILABLE!
The recordings from our 2016 Fall Conference are now available. You may purchase individual recordings for $5 each or all 17 recordings for only $50.
Information about all other events is located on our Events page.
2017 Fall Conference
September 22-23, 2017
SAWRIDGE INN & CONFERENCE CENTRE
4235 Gateway Blvd. NW Edmonton, AB
Pre-Conference events (VIP Day and Authors’ Mixer) take place on Thursday,
September 21. VIP Day has a separate fee and limited seating.
Workshops begin on Friday morning.
To register: see the Fall Conference Registration form below on this page.
Early bird (until July 31): TBA
Regular (from August 1st): TBA
One Day: $160
Single Workshop: Member $40 Non-Member $50
Banquet: One ticket $55
Mixer: Members – included. Non-members $15.
Conference fees can be paid online in our store. Don’t forget to register first!
Hotel and conference registration are separate. Call the hotel directly to register for accommodations.
We have partnered with the Sawridge Inn Edmonton South for this event. A special hotel rate and section is blocked at the hotel for our attendees.
Staying at the hotel affords more networking opportunities and so should be looked at as a value plus to your conference experience. Many new projects are hatched in the wee hours of the morning or over an early coffee. New working alliances have also been formed through the extra networking opportunities afforded by staying at the conference hotel. You can cut costs by sharing a room with a fellow attendee, or bring your spouse or a friend who’d like to explore Edmonton while you’re at the Conference.
To make reservations: Call 1-888-729-7343. This number is a general reservation number, but you will be told which extension to dial for the Sawridge hotel, and you will be then be in direct contact with the reservations team at the hotel.
NOTE: Tell the hotel you are part of the Inscribe group to get the guaranteed group rate. (TBA)
There is ample free parking around the hotel and conference centre.
Directions to Sawridge Inn Edmonton South:
- From Edmonton International Airport – Exit North on QE 2, Travel 23 kms to hotel (turns into Gateway Blvd,) Hotel 4 kms North of 23rd Ave at interchange Gateway Blvd and Whitemud Freeway – on right.
- From the North – South on Calgary Trail (104th Street), exit East (left) on 42nd Avenue 1 block South of Whitemud Freeway. 250 meters turn left (North) onto Gateway Blvd – stay right.
- From the East – Travel Whitemud Freeway West to Calgary Trail, exit South to 42nd Ave (I block south of Whitemud Freeway. 250 meters turn left (North) onto Gateway Blvd – stay right.
- From the West – Travel Whitemud Freeway East to Calgary Trail, exit South (Right) to 42nd Ave (I block south of Whitemud Freeway, stay left). 250 meters turn left (North) onto Gateway Blvd – stay right.
Conference registration includes:
- Friday lunch
- Friday supper (banquet)
- Saturday lunch
Founder of ‘Author Academy’: Author, publisher, and marketing guru!
More information to come!
Want to gain more confidence as a writer?
Want to gather more tools for your writing toolbox?
Want to move to the next level?
Join us for this exclusive pre-conference event with author, publisher, and marketing guru Shelley Hitz! This fun but intensive writer development day has limited seating. Only 20 spots available.
Keynote speaker: Shelley Hitz
September 21, 2017
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Sawridge Inn & Conference Centre
$150 per person
Not included with conference. Fee is separate.
info to come
Receive feedback from an experienced writer or editor. First thirty to sign up will be accommodated. Send a two to three page sample of your writing and any questions you would like help with and you will be matched with one of our blue pencil mentors. Deadline for samples: September 1, 2017 Contact: TBA
The Barnabas Fellowship is a grant of $250 enabling a member of InScribe to further his or her progress in writing. It is named for Barnabas, a co-worker with the Apostle Paul. His story is found in the book of Acts. Barnabas means “encourager,” which coincides with the purpose of this award. Applications for the Barnabas Fellowship grant are accepted each Summer (deadline is August 31st of the current year). The Fellowship is awarded at the Fall Conference to a current member of InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship. For full details and to apply, see the Barnabas Awards tab on our Contests page.
Looking for some great winter reads?
Published writers will have books available for purchase, so remember to bring your cheque book or some spare cash and stock up on great books by Canadian authors.
Are you an author with books to sell?
You need to notify us prior to conference if you are bringing books to sell. Please download the Book Table Agreement and return the completed forms to Tracy Krauss by September 12, 2017. InScribe charges a 10% commission for selling books for you.
Are you a Publisher or Business Owner?
Publishers and other book sellers will man their own book tables. You will be charged a flat fee of $25.00 per day for each table you use to display your books. Please download the Book Seller Agreement and return it to Bobbi Junior by September 10, 2017.
Inscribe will refund 75% of your full fee if cancellation is made before Sept. 1 and 50% before Sept. 15. After Sept. 15 there is no refund. Application for refund must be made by Oct. 10. If you cannot attend, your registration is transferable to another writer.
- Focus on your writing passion for TWO whole days!
- Relax and withdraw awhile from the cares of the world, work and family.
- Enjoy wonderful meals and refreshments fit for royalty.
- Form new acquaintances during social times.
- Be affirmed by individuals who totally ‘get it’ when you share your writing dreams.
- You might find a critique partner or mentor.
- Meet writers from your area with whom you could form a writing group.
- Network with professionals in the business.
- Socialize with like-minded people and get a sense of belonging.
- Receive a perfect ‘now’ word from the Lord that encourages or provides direction.
- Learn something new. Remember something old.
- Have an unexpected door of opportunity open up to you.
- Read your own work at the Manuscript Reading session.
- Anticipate that your written piece submitted to the contest might be a winner and could be announced here!
(originally published in FellowScript)
Inscribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship would like to invite two dimensional art submissions from visual artists to be used on the cover of the November 2017 FellowScript Magazine.
Inscribe is a Canada wide writers’ organization for writers of Christian faith. Subject matter and medium are open to the artist’s discretion, and do NOT have to be specific to writing or Christianity. However, submissions should be eye-catching, artistically pleasing, and suitable for reproduction. Visual submissions should be sent as a jpg or pdf along with an entry fee ($15 for members or $20 for non-members per entry. Multiple entries are allowed, but payment must be submitted for each entry.) Pay fee in our store. Submit the following information with each entry:
1. Short artist’s bio (150 words or less)
2. Name of the piece
4. Statement of agreement with the Apostles’ Creed (To view the Apostles’ Creed, go to http://inscribe.org/membership/)
Contest dates: June 1 – August 1, 2017 (All entries must be received via e-mail by midnight on August 1st.)
Submit entries to: email@example.com
The winning submission will be used as the November 2017 FellowScript Magazine cover and be featured on the InScribe website. The winning artist will receive a digital copy of the 2017 FellowScript Magazine cover. Second and third place winners will be featured on the InScribe website.
Winning artists agree to grant Inscribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship the rights to a one time use of their artwork on the website and on the cover of the FellowScript Magazine.
Don’t forget to click ‘Submit Conference Registration’!
Payment is separate from registration.
- Fill in registration form above and submit.
- Click on the icon below to go to our store for payment. Member and Non-Member pricing in effect.