Keep a small can of WD-40 on your desk—away from any open flames—to remind yourself that if you don’t write daily, you will get rusty.
~ George Singleton
Welcome to our Writing Groups Directory. InScribe members are active in writing groups across the country, with new groups continuing to form. If there is not presently a group in your area, contact your writing group coordinator: Tracy Krauss
What is a writing group? Each group develops its own personality, and meets the needs of its members according to the goals of the group.
What goes on during a writing group? In a co-writing group, during a three hour session, ten to twelve members can take part in two 20 minute periods of writing, followed by a time of sharing what they’ve written. Critique groups may use a different format, described below.
How big should a writing group be? Groups can be as small as two, and grow from there.
What goes on during a writing group meeting? A group may combine several of these formats. While these are typical, yours might find a whole new direction.
- FREEFALL: Also described as “Co-writing” this consists of sharing prompts, then writing together as the prompts give inspiration. This is a great way to generate first drafts on unexpected topics.
- AFFIRMATION: Members share their material and receive positive feedback as to what resonated with the listeners.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Members encourage each other in their writing, pray with each other during dry spells, and hold each other accountable to their personal goals. This type of group works well on-line.
- CRITIQUE: Members share their work in progress for input and suggestions. Critique groups often share their material by e-mail prior to meetings, then come prepared to discuss what they’ve read.
- ONLINE: One of the easiest groups to form, this works best with a limited number, if the group is sharing material. An online group often takes the form of accountability, but can include any of the formats.
JOIN A GROUP: Are you interested in being part of a writing group? Click on the name of your province below to find one in your region. To learn more, e-mail the contact person listed for that group.
START A GROUP: InScribe Regional Representatives are waiting to help members start their own groups, or re-launch inactive groups across the country. Contact Tracy Krauss for further information.
Members currently running a group are encouraged to contact Tracy for an online copy of the Writing Group Packet – full of information and ideas to rejuvenate your group.
If your information changes or the links don’t work, contact Tracy.
(Updated: February 2014)
Writing Group Directory
- Fraser Valley Christian Writers
- Contact Abe Funk
- Our purpose is to encourage, educate, and improve through critiques and sharing.
- Women’s Writing Circle
- Contact Dayna Mazzuca
- We are an affirmation and co-writing group rather than a critique group; affirm what you like in the other’s writing.
- Calgary South
- South Calgary Writers
- Contact Nicola Cameron
- Critique Group. Submit work one week ahead to the above email address.
- Edmonton West End
- Writers’ Cafe
- Contact Joy Bailey
- CAFE stands for ‘Community, Accountability, Feedback and Encouragement’
- Write Clique
- Contact Bryan Norford
- A place for writers to share and be encouraged.
- Red Deer
- ICWF Red Deer Chapter
- Contact Marian Warkentin
- Our purpose is to encourage, motivate, and inspire as well as offer critiques and writing exercises.
- The Writer’s Wellspring
- Contact Gwen Mathieu
- A critique group that is challenging and fun with mini free-fall exercises and sharing.
- Bond Head, ON
- The Writers’ Nest
- Contact Belinda Burston
- A writer’s group and a place of nurture and growth in the craft of writing. We offer critique if it is asked for. This group has proven to be a safe environment for fledgling writers, who can learn from those with more experience.
- ICWF Burlington Chapter
- Contact Nikki Rosen
- Meets once per month to offer support, encouragement and critiques. It’s a fun group! usually meet the third Thursday of the month, 6:30-9:00 pm. Contact Nikki for details.
- Writers Unite
- Contact Glynis M. Belec
- First Friday of every month at the Studio Factor, 24 Wood Street, Drayton, Ontario
Updated August 14, 2014