InScribe encourages member involvement through a variety of events. Activities are organized to appeal to all levels of writers, from beginners to those already published. We also endeavour to provide opportunities for involvement for members all across Canada. We’re sure you’ll find something that will tweak your interest.
Fall Conference registration now closed
SPRING WORDSHOPS 2017: ‘WRITE WORDS’
Each spring, InScribe sponsors several ‘mini-conferences’ across Canada called WorDshops. These are locally organized and run events. InScribe is here to help you or your writing group host a spring WorDshop in your area.
For a list of this year’s WorDshops, go to the ‘WorDshop’ drop down under ‘Events’.
Our mentors will take you all the way from Advertising to Final Evaluation. We will give you direction on how to:
- Choose a date and venue.
- Set a budget and registration fee
- Contact Workshop Facilitators
- Set an agenda and task list
- Plan publicity
- Arrange member book sales and other related activities
- Organize registration, collection of fees and paying facilitators
Any member who is interested in either hosting a local WorDshop or presenting a workshop at one, is invited to contact Tracy Krauss for more information.
Workshop presenters will be required to submit a one-page proposal containing a synopsis of their 45-60 minute workshop plus a brief bio by January 30, 2017.
These workshops and courses are offered by members of InScribe. If you are interested, please contact the individual member.
Writing Devotionals (Online Course)
Instructor: Marcia Lee Laycock
- CONTENT: Writing in an anecdotal style, learn how to stimulate your readers to consider spiritual things. The course will cover Using Literary Devices, How to Show instead of Tell, Keeping your Focus, Using Metaphor
- TO ENROLL: Email Marcia to be notified for the next session.
- COST: $100.00 Receipt of fee confirms enrollment. Enrollment is limited. Contact Marcia concerning method of payment.
- FORMAT: The course will run as a Yahoo group. Students should make themselves familiar with Yahoo Groups before the course begins. A short lesson and assignment will be given at the beginning of the week. Each student will send her/his devotional to Marcia for critique. Students are also free to comment on/critique one another’s work.
CREDENTIALS: Marcia is an award-winning, published writer. She has been writing a weekly devotional column for the past 18 years and has been published in both national and provincial newspapers and magazines. Marcia has taught writing at Inscribe conferences as well as at Write Canada (The Word Guild in Ontario), and through Adult Learning of Alberta. Her devotional books, The Spur of the Moment and Focused Reflections have been endorsed by Janette Oke, Phil Callaway and Mark Buchanan. Her novel, One Smooth Stone won her the Best New Canadian Christian Author Award in 2006 and was published in September 2007. Her second novel One Tumbled Stone was released in 2011.
The difference between the almost right word and the right word is … the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.