The Fall Contest is offered each year in conjunction with InScribe’s Fall Conference. It is for new, unpublished work, only. Members are not required to attend the Conference to enter the contest. there are cash prizes, too! See below for more details.
Interested, but not a member? See Membership.
A variety of genres are available and writers at all levels are encouraged to enter. Note that there is no entry fee for writers aged 18 years or younge
Entrance fee of $30 per entry, which includes a professional critique.
Critiques provide commentary on every criteria of the judging rubrics.
Judges are professional writers, and entries are judged according to these rubrics.
If less than six entries are received in any one category, that category will be dissolved and entry fees refunded.
NO Simultaneous submissions (do not send same manuscript to another contest).
Please do not enter the same manuscript in more than one category.
Acceptance of a prize grants First North American Serial Rights to InScribe to publish the award-winning manuscript. At the discretion of the editorial staff, the manuscript will be published in FellowScript either in hardcopy or in an online Fall Supplement.
Late entries will be discarded.
CONTEST GUIDELINES: Seven Steps to Enter your piece(s)
- Membership required. If you are not a member, please join us here.
- Write something ORIGINAL in one of the categories below. Published work is not accepted.
- Follow the rubrics to craft a winning piece. Points deducted for improper formatting. Please download the rubrics!
- Manuscript. In your manuscript please include your piece, which follows word count, formatting, and rubrics; your title and category. Eg: “Painting with Words”/ Nonfiction Essay to Theme. Please do NOT put your name on your manuscript.
- Send your work by EMAIL ONLY in a MICROSOFT WORD ATTACHMENT to: Contest Coordinator ON OR BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1ST. The contest coordinator is not a judge.
- BODY of your email: Provide your name, address, phone number(s), contest category, and word count.SUBJECT FIELD of your email: “Fall Contest Submission” AND category: For example : “Fall Contest Submission: Adult Fiction”
- Fill out the online contest form below.
- Pay for your entry/entries. Enter as many pieces as you wish. $30 per entry including critique by professional judge/writer. FREE entry for 18 and under.
- 1” margins and double-spacing (except for poetry)
- Times New Roman font, size 12
- Points deducted for improper formatting. Please see rubrics below.
- Emailed by Word doc. Attachment
- Your name must NOT appear on your manuscript, only the title of your piece and the contest category
All unpublished, new work. Pieces may be written for the mainstream or the Christian market. Truth may be presented subtly or overtly as long as Scripture is not contradicted. The message of each piece will support the Apostle’s Creed.
- Nonfiction– To Conference Theme: “The Art of Words” – Maximum 1500 words
- Poetry– Maximum 40 lines. Open. Any Style, but entrant must state style on entry form. Eg.: Rhymed, free-verse, sonnet, villanelle, pantoum, sestina, etc.)
- Adult Fiction– Maximum 1250 words. Any genre.
- Song Writing– Lyrics 1-2 pages. Mp3 recording. Any genre. Production quality of the recording and vocal ability are not judged, only lyrics and musicality. See specific formatting on rubrics.
- Devotional – Maximum 300 words including scripture.
Pieces will be judged by the rubrics listed below (Click to download)
Prizes are available for each category.
First: $100 plus publication in FellowScript and/or on the ICWF Blog*
Second: $50 plus publication in FellowScript and/or on the ICWF Blog*
Third: $30 plus publication in FellowScript and/or on the ICWF Blog*
*Publication in FellowScript is provided only at the discretion of the editorial staff and will appear either in hardcopy or in the online Fall Supplement.
- Certificates are included with all prizes including Honourable Mentions.
- Winners are announced at Fall Conference, and in FellowScript, on our Blog and on our listserv. Winning entries may be read or displayed at the next Fall Conference.
- To encourage quality craftsmanship in the entries, the judges may not award all prizes in a given category.
- Judges are anonymous and will not enter into a discussion or disputes regarding decisions or awards.
- The contest coordinator does not judge the entries. Please do not contact the contest coordinator regarding the judging.
Please fill out the Fall Contest Entry Form below. Thank you for submitting your piece!
Questions? Please contact Contest Coordinator.
Your hard work and determination are highly valued.
Fall Contest Registration Form link will be live in June 2019.